Friday, October 19, 2012

I Pulled My Muscle While Exercising. Should I See A Dr.?

By Mark DiSalvo, MPT, OCS, MTC, CGFI


Many people feel little “tweaks and pulls” as they workout. The question I often hear is “When should I see the Doctor or therapist?”If you have been good about icing and stretching after a minor muscle pull and nothing feels better in about 2 weeks, it is probably time to see the doctor. If the pain gets progressively worse in the first few days – this is another indication that it may be time to see the Doctor or PT. As physical therapists, we offer free 15 min screens for musculoskeletal issues and can help you determine if your injury is more serious and needs the attention of a physician. One more thing to look out for - at the time of the injury if you see bruising and swelling, it may be a sign that you have a more serious injury such as a muscle tear. This type of muscle injury needs more rest and specific treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment